Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I am a Values Voter

After the last election, pundits and pollsters determined that W's (is for wrong) re-election hinged values voters. I would agree, W (is for wrong) was re-elected based on values. Unfortunately he was re-elected based on the wrong values. I am a values voters, and I will be voting based on values I hold dear. Here are the values I will be voting on:
1. I will vote on the value that a book written between 4000 and 1500 years ago is of little or no use in guiding the President.
2. I will vote on the value that the environment is our most precious resource and we need to protect it.
3. I will vote on the value that all people in the US need to be treated equally and fairly regardless of gender, sexual orientation, color, religious or non-religious affiliation, immigration status, or education.
4. I will vote on the value that torture, waterboarding, and rendition are illegal and immoral.
5. I will vote on the value that invading a sovereign country that has not attacked us or threatened to attack us is illegal.
6. I will vote on the value that importing oil from theocracies in the Middle East is not in our country's best interest.
7. I will vote on the value that our young men and women in uniform should not dying in a far off country because the US invaded for no good reason.
8. I will vote on the value that immigrants sneak into our country to make a better life for themselves and the families they left behind, and these immigrants need the help of our country.
9. I will vote on the value that religion has no place in the public life of our country.
10. I will vote on the value that public schools are the most important institution in our country and teacher deserve respect.
11. I will vote on the value that tax breaks to the wealthiest people in our country are not in the best interest of our country.
12. I will vote on the value that three-quarters of a trillion dollars is too much money to have been spent on a war in a country the US never should have invaded.
13. I will vote on the value that health care for all is needed and long overdue.
These are some of the values I will be voting on.
The values I will not vote on are the values of religious fundamentalism, intoleration, division, discrimination, hatred, torture, and lying.
Now if I could only find a candidate that holds the same values as me.

No comments: