Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Soweto Gospel Choir

On Saturday, my wife and I went to a performance of the Soweto Gospel Choir. It was wonderful experience. The concert was a mix native South African and traditional gospel songs. The group also threw in some South African hip hop. The performers were dressed in mostly traditional costumes. Bright colors and patterns. Not only was it a superb listening experience, but visually it was stunning. The performers sang and danced happily across the stage. It was a delight to see and hear. The performers sang in 6 of the 11 national languages of South Africa. We may not have been able to understand what they were singing but you could feel the power of the performers beliefs. It was awe inspiring to see the way the performers’ faces lit up as they sang and praised God. You tell they truly believed what they were signing about.

As I watched the performance I couldn’t help think how different a church service in South Africa must be compared to one in the United States. I can’t imagine any Lutheran or Catholic service to be as active and as colorful as what we witnessed on Saturday. I can’t imagine any American church allowing any such carrying on. It was truly inspirational to see the performers. They had a childlike quality to them. You could see they truly felt the presence of God. It has been a long time since I have been inspired when I have been in church. Perhaps if more American churches had services like the one on Saturday, more young people would be willing to come to church. I believe, that when people go to church, they want to be inspired. If churches were to incorporate more things like dancing and more gospel music, more people would attend.

I have been to several African church services when I was in the Peace Corps. I went an Easter service near Torodi, Niger, I went a service in Bamako, Mali, and a service in Ho, Ghana. At each service, the energy that filled the church was overwhelming. It was obvious that the people were filled with the spirit. I wish I felt that kind of energy in the churches here in the United States. It sure would make church feel less stuffy and I might enjoy going more.

No comments: